Add fresh impetus with an Innovation Tournament
Whenever new ideas and innovations are lacking or the company is stuck, an Innovation Tournament is an excellent way to add further impetus.
Such a tournament creates not only new momentum and foster innovation, but it also creates a change in mindset. Over time, employees will begin to challenge the status quo and become more solution-oriented. Winners receive not only full ownership but also budget, time, resources, and a team to implement their idea. As a result, an Innovation Tournament can be a lot of fun and sparks enthusiasm to experiment with new ideas.
However, an Innovation Tournament needs to be regularly to benefit from it entirely. If such events are unknown, fear of failure or uncertainties can hinder employees from participating. It can take a few rounds until they feel comfortable and safe enough to involve themselves.
At this point, it is essential to mention that failures can and will happen. Only if employees feel safe to experiment, Innovation Tournaments are going to add new impetus.
How to run an Innovation Tournament
- Provide access: Set up a physical or online platform which can be easily accessible by everyone.
- Inform: Send an invitation and provide insights about how that tournament works and why it might be worthwhile to participate.
- Collect ideas: Collect suggestions and add them on the platform for several weeks. Management should not preselect or review them first. Allow transparency and accept any idea which is coming up. Otherwise, frustration and demotivation will rise due to disappointment.
- Vote: Employees should be able to vote on the listed proposals.
Choose a winner: Conduct an event and announce one or several winners based on the highest-ranked ideas.
- Implement the solution: The winner(s) will receive full ownership, budget, time, resources, and a team in order to implement the concept.